Job Title: Carpenter Assistant/Labourer
Job Type: Full-time, 1-year contract
Salary: Starting at $18 per hour, depending on experience.
We are a small Timber framing company looking for a self-starting carpenter’s assistant and labourer with a positive attitude. We promise you won’t be bored. Our team works throughout Southern Ontario on a wide variety of projects including new construction and historical barn restoration. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated, physically fit and able to lift and carry heavy loads. They should also have excellent attention to details and a keen interest in learning and improving carpentry/timber framing skills.
A successful applicant should be hardworking, reliable, and have good communication and organizational skills. Working with little supervision while following all health and safety standards is essential.
This is a great opportunity to join a small, energetic and creative team with a passion for high-quality and sustainable woodworking. Opportunities to grow with the company are virtually limitless for a candidate with the right attitude and skill set.
We adhere to strict COVID protocols as outlined by the Ontario government.
Main duties and Responsibilities
- Loading and unloading construction materials, and moving them to work areas
- Installing and removing concrete forms, scaffolding, ramps, catwalks and barricades at construction sites
- Climb to heights and conduct work with proper safety restraints
- Lift heavy loads up to 70 lbs and navigate construction job site terrain
- Dig pits, trenches and foundations in preparation for job site construction
- Operate heavy machinery, including construction vehicles
- Perform setup and cleanup tasks at job site
- Back-fill trenches and pits when necessary
- Provide labour support as needed for specialty crew
- Follow detailed instructions with minimal supervision
- May operate hand and power tools (electric, gas, and pneumatic) of all types
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma/GED preferred
- 2+ years construction industry experience preferred
- Basic understanding of construction principles and procedures
- Ability to operate a manual transmission vehicle
- Carpentry skills an asset
- Comfort working in fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Ability and desire to travel and work in remote locations
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods, climb, pull, and lift heavy objects.
- Working at heights and Fall Arrest Training an asset
- First Aid Training an asset
- Valid Driver’s Licence and reliable vehicle
Please apply for this position by sending your cover letter and resume by e-mail to Human Resources at: email@example.com by March 19th 2020, and quote the position title in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.